Weaning & Drinking
Start at highchair/mealtimes so your little one is seated and in a good position to begin learning their new skill. Put just a little bit of liquid, be it milk or water, in the cup to begin with. If there are spills this will keep them to a minimum and the cup will be kept ultra lightweight for your young child. To help, try holding the cup with your baby or toddler so that you are guiding it to their mouth with them. The next stage is to hover a hand nearby whilst they start to hold and direct the cup themselves. It’s really important to give lots of praise for your child’s efforts. Sitting with them and letting them watch you drink from an open cup is extremely beneficial too as they love to copy and learn brilliantly from it. The benefits of adopting this super sipping skill from weaning onwards are numerous, including oral health, orthodontic development and fine motor skills. It might take a little practise or your little one might sip straight away. Whichever is the case, it really is worth it.
Babycup First Cups are in line with UNICEF’s baby friendly initiative and support their recommendation to use a small open cup whilst establishing breastfeeding. Babycup First Cups are useful for a number of different scenarios such as tongue-tie, cleft, latch issues, bottle refusers or for feeding expressed milk.
We recommend asking your midwife or health visitor todemonstrate the technique for cup-feeding.
- Mini open cup for babies and young children
- Perfectly sized for little mouths and hands
- Slim drinking edge and small circumference
- Beautifully made in gorgeous colours
- Translucent so little ones can see inside
- Dishwasher, steriliser and autoclave safe
- Supports oral health, sipping and fine motor skills
- BPA-free, high quality production, sleek design
- Loved by parents & recommended by health professionals